Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The joys of midwifery

This truly has been the worst year I have ever had since I started working in the midwifery world and today just capped it. I have one client left, ONE, before we move to Idaho and have been really looking forward to this birth. It's a young couple with their first baby, and there's just nothing like being a part of that joy and excitement. Well, the excitement is now gone. The baby has been consistently breech for quite some time and has resisted all efforts to move him. We've gone ahead and prepared for a vaginal breech birth, but I got a call from the parents today announcing that during their doctors visit they had scheduled a c-section for tomorrow morning. As a midwife, I'm heartbroken. I just don't know if I can take one more not so great ending. As their caregiver, I disagree with the decision, but as a fellow member of the church (we're both LDS) I have to accept it for what it is and in this case it's a father with the right and privilege to receive inspiration on his families behalf. This father feels that they have been instructed to accept the offer of a c-section and that it is, against their hopes and wishes, the right thing to do for his wife and baby. And who can, or should, argue with that? They aren't going into it blindly, I've made sure that it is an informed decision, and they are insisting on an ultrasound before the c-section to see if the baby has turned. If, miracles of miracles, it has turned they will say, "No thank you, we'll wait" and come home. It's now out of my hands; all I can do now is hope and pray the baby has turned (and not just from the mothers left side to her right, which is the only reaction we got from the Webster!).

No comments:

Post a Comment